Gmail standard edition is a Google application and it is a must for Website (domain) owner who are bombarded with spam. Our web space providers generally provide email services with limited email accounts but how about spam free email service from Google, so that you can manage spam free 7GB emails accounts like firstname.lastname@example.org, with gmail like UI. Its really cool and easy to setup this google app for your domain in a few steps.
- Get a domain name mydomain.com and sign up for gmail standard and get a verfication code.
- Once you have the verification code create googlehostedservice.html and upload it to your mydomain.com webspace and verify your account/website.
- After verification we need to setup/change MX entry of google instead of default configuration of mydomain.com. Go to your cpanel or any other domain control panel and change the MX entry from email MX entry setup. Search for it and delete old entries and add google mail MX entry as given below:
- You can create upto 50 users or email accounts for free.
- To access free email service for mydomain.com go to mail.google.com/a/mydomain.com.
- One can even add Domain setting to redirect request from mail.mydomain.com to mail.google.com/a/mydomain.com. It can be done by adding a CNAME mail.mydomain.com using DNS setting from domain control panel.
Be patient it takes some time to activate. Try sending few emails to other accounts and enjoy free email service.